Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Harvest & Another Garden Update

Few pitiful radishes. I thought radishes were easy to grow... Not for me it would seem.
 
Found a couple of dried bean pods I had missed. Maybe I'll try growing them.

Birds....
 
Pulled up the rest of the yellow pear tomatoes. Hopefully they will ripen on the counter.
 
Cucmbers - I think I have a pollination issue.

In addition I had another handful of long beans but forgot to put them in a picture. I lost a bunch of my lettuce to some bugs this week. They made nests (?) right in the middle of the plant and it killed them. Most of the oak leaf lettuce survived but at the moment that is all the lettuce I have. Got a ton of work done in the garden this weekend, thank you husband, and it looks so much better.

 
The entire middle and right side of the garden was turned. We then added compost and chicken manure, leveled it out, and watered it in well. Just happened to get my seed order in and was then able to plant my cover crop of buckwheat. It has only been a couple of days, but so far, the birds haven't tried to get to any of the seeds. I'm hopeful they will come up without problem. To turn the whole area I had to pull up my onions and parsley. I potted them and they seem to be doing ok so far.
 

 

Snipped a couple of cuttings from the yellow pear. Figure this will give me a head start over my seeds. I also took some from my patio princess tomatoes because they don't seem to be doing to well where they are and if these root I'll move them to a more sunny location. Last but no least a few rosemary cuttings in the hope I can root them this time. Last time they just died in the cups of water.

 


Side view of my yard.



Starting left is my newly trimmed/repotted rosemary plant. I'm attempting to train it into a spherical topiary. Ha! We'll have to wait and see about this. Small red pot is my miniature rose. The large pot with the green bar going across is my new fig tree. I'm attempting to train it to lay horizontally and then allow all the vertical shoots to grow. It is a Japanese training method that uses little space but gets a decent harvest. Hope to have some figs this year. Figs are my all time favorite fruit. We had a fig tree in SC and I still miss it. Hopefully this will hold me over for a while. The clay pot is actually a blueberry plant. Though it looks dead it is starting to come back to life. I repotted it, treated the leaf rust, and moved it to a sunnier location. We will have to wait and see on this one too. The two twin pots to the right are our new asparagus patches!! We transferred a bunch (maybe a few to many) a couple days ago and they are doing great.
 
Moon flowers are really taking off. About time to hang them up.
 
The three seed trays. I removed all the covers today. Hard to believe how fast these germinated. So excited for all the pepper!
 
So a friend took pity on us for our non producing pineapple plant and gave us one of theirs. This little guy is half the size our plant was and already has an adorable baby pineapple fruit!
 
My papaya is finally taking off. Hopefully we will see some fruit on it soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment